in.ane - origin Latin "innis"; content that lacks sense or substance.

chat - origin Middle English "chatten"; to converse in an easy, familiar manner.

in.ane chat - origin "innis chatten" - to converse in a familiar manner, content that lacks sense or substance.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

The "small world" phenomenon

When I was a consultant in Australia, I was working on a 6 week CRM business case at a leading tobacco company. Two weeks ago at a hotel lobby in Istanbul I met Gee, one of the persons I was working very closely with who was on the customer team helping us with the business case.
 
I could never have imagined meeting Gee ever again unless I went to Aus. but to my surprise I actually meet him in Istanbul of all the places. Gee has quit the tobacco company and now works for a consulting house. Is based in London but spends most of his time in Istanbul.
 
Needless to say we ended up saying "What a small world!!!".
 
So, when was the last time you said "it is such a small world" to someone. 
 
Here are some strange "small world" incidents I have come across or heard of:
 
An ex-colleague of mine in Aus said he had come across a university friend from Australia at a hot dog stand in New York
 
This is about a friend, again from Australia, who was from a small town in Scotland of some 100 people. One day she met a girl from her town, who used to live down the street from her house in that small town in ScotlandShe meet her friend in a small non-descript lane in St. Kilda, Melbourne (no not the dodgy side ;), but by the beach).
 
As a record of sorts, in my 10 months at France, came across people all of who knew a common friend through unrelated connections (ex-colleague of husband, son of a close family friend, elder brother of classmate). It was almost like having a fan club.
 
A close friend in Australia was the high school classmate of a close friend from France. I managed to link them up because both had spoken about their high school (in Kerala) adventures to me.
 
PS: However, Cherickel, I must say, sadly the possibility of finding an acquaintance in Oktoberfest failed.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pee Are,
Here is my small world incident. 2 months ago, I bumped into a college friend in the dinner buffet line at a restaurant in Bangalore.
-R

2:22 am GMT

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS: Talking about St. Kilda, have you seen Salaam Namaste...Saif and Priety end up driving to Ben and Jerry's in St. Kilda at midnight for Belgian Dark Chocolate Ice Cream.

Soon you will also be running around when Raji gets her cravings.

PPS: Talking about Oz, do a search for Bondi Blondes...I saw a very nooiice spread recently :-)
-R

2:28 am GMT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home