in.ane - origin Latin "innis"; content that lacks sense or substance.

chat - origin Middle English "chatten"; to converse in an easy, familiar manner.

in.ane chat - origin "innis chatten" - to converse in a familiar manner, content that lacks sense or substance.

Thursday, January 04, 2007

London Tube - Services Disrupted

If you commute in the London Underground delays are very common. The usual reasons of these delays are things like signal failure or fire alert.

The following was given as the cause of service disruption today:
"NORTHERN LINE: Suspended southbound only from Camden Town to Kennington via Bank due to a person being under a train at Borough."

I think what they are trying to say is that either someone fell on the tracks or the train ran over someone. Doesn't "a person being under a train" kind of imply that a person is under the train and not coming out, or a person is there and we do not know where the person has come from. Somehow, that does not sound right, am sure there is another way of describing the incident instead of saying "a person being under a train". It just sounds a bit odd and strange/funny.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the British stiff upper lip. What do you want them to say? "Train service cancelled due to man who was cut into 45 pieces when he jumped on the tracks after drinking 18 beers"
-R

3:42 am GMT

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL

4:08 am GMT

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the Brits love to say that someone is under something. When I was arguing with my boss the need to put my personal mobile number on the intranet, I was told it is needed as if I dont turn up, he needs to know if I was sick or if I fell under a bus.

2:37 pm GMT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home